If you suffer from memory impairment like Alzheimer’s or dementia and require assistance, a memory care community could be an ideal home. In this warm and welcoming environment, residents enjoy a sense of freedom in their private apartments, which are equipped with a variety of helpful safety features. Surrounded by friendly peers and nurturing staff members, you will enjoy a sense of community and peace of mind.
What Is Memory Care?
A specialized type of assisted living, memory care is designed for people suffering from memory conditions like Alzheimer’s and dementia. In the safe, secure environment at Gables on Pelham, staff members closely monitor the health, safety, and happiness of residents. Our specially trained staff members are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in case of an emergency. We use a person-centered approach that preserves each resident’s identity and individuality to ensure that everyone feels a sense of belonging and purpose. In addition, we offer a variety of programs, activities, and events designed for memory care residents. These fun activities help residents exercise their brains and improve their cognitive abilities.
A variety of features and amenities with our helpful staff will ensure our residents live life to the fullest in memory care:
- A Warm and Welcoming Atmosphere: Designed to feel like cozy homes, our apartments have private bathrooms and plenty of natural light. We also offer easy-to-navigate floor plans, inviting communal spaces, and cheerful decor.
- A Secure Setting: To keep our memory care residents safe, we keep exterior doors secured and monitored. Residents are free to explore and enjoy our enclosed courtyards, which allow residents to get some fresh air and enjoy the outdoors while remaining within our secure community.
- Highly Trained Team: We invest in our staff members’ training and education because we know that our staff has a profound impact on our residents’ lives. In addition to their initial orientation, our staff members receive ongoing training to ensure they remain up-to-date on the latest memory care techniques.
- Quality Service: We believe our residents deserve to feel well taken care of and supported, so we train our staff members to provide exemplary service. Whether we’re assisting residents with personal care like bathing and medication management, preparing and serving meals, or completing laundry and housework, we work hard to offer top-of-the-line support.
- Personalized Care: Each resident is unique and deserves unique, quality care. Often, this means that we must vary our care approach based on the resident. As we get to know each resident, we’re able to incorporate their individual needs and interests into their care plan. We aim to make each resident feel known and loved.
- Enriching Activities: Our social calendar changes regularly to incorporate seasonal events, cultural trends, and residents’ interests. We encourage all of our residents to join our daily planned activities to add structure to their days, maintain their current skills, and learn new things. Plus, the activities offer a great way to have fun and make new friends.
How Much Does It Cost?
We work with our residents, their families, and their healthcare providers to design a personalized approach to memory care. For this reason, the cost of our memory care services varies based on each resident’s needs. Many variables go into determining the price, including living accommodations and care needs. If you’re exploring memory care at The Gables on Pelham, contact us to schedule a personal service assessment, which will allow us to provide you with a custom quote.
Your monthly payment will cover a variety of services, such as the following:
- Daily care and support
- Apartment accommodations
- Utilities (gas, electric, water, sewer, trash removal)
- Housekeeping, laundry, and linen services
- Meals and snacks
- Emergency alert and fire safety systems
- Licensed nurse overseeing each resident’s personal service plan
- Trained staff on site 24 hours a day
- Routine wellness monitoring
- Assistance with dressing, getting ready for the day, showering, and bathing
- Personal assistance during meals and activities
- Assistance with arranging healthcare appointments and managing medications
When Is It Time for Memory Care?
Deciding when to pursue professional care for someone suffering from a memory disorder is a complex, personal choice. People experience memory disorders in different ways, and some need more support than others. The experienced, nurturing team members at The Gables on Pelham can help you weigh your options and figure out the right time for memory care. With the help of your loved one’s doctor and trusted family members and friends, you can decide what is best for you and your family.
Memory care communities provide valuable relief and support for people suffering from dementia and their loved ones. If you’re exploring the possibility, keep an eye out for these five signs that it may be time to explore memory care:
- You’re concerned about your loved one’s safety. It’s common to be worried about the health and safety of loved ones as they age. However, these concerns often amplify when memory conditions are involved. People living with dementia may wander away from home and get lost. And when confused or panicked, they may make risky decisions (like crossing the street without looking for traffic) or experience a fall or injury. A memory care community ensures that your loved one is in safe hands and always has quick access to medical care and support. We offer emergency alert systems in each apartment, keypad entries, daily check-in systems, and enclosed outdoor spaces.
- Your loved one is struggling with personal care. Have you noticed that your loved is neglecting their hygiene? Do they ever forget to change their clothes, brush their teeth, or comb their hair? More critically, have they ever forgotten to take medications? If your loved one needs help remembering when and how to complete these daily activities, consider asking for help. A memory care community will provide a gentle routine for your loved one and ensure that they don’t neglect their health or hygiene.
- You’re experiencing caregiver stress. Acting as a caregiver is tremendously hard work. It can be especially challenging when you’re caring for a loved one with memory loss that grows progressively worse. As time goes by, you may struggle to complete everything on your to-do list without experiencing symptoms of burnout. If your mental health or quality of life have declined, consider a memory care community.
- Your loved one has unexplained physical changes. Has your mother’s perfect posture become slumped? Is she walking sluggishly? Is your dad suddenly losing weight and looking frail? If these changes can’t be explained, your loved one may be struggling. At a memory care community, your loved one will have the care and support they need to live their best life.
- Your loved one seems isolated and lonely. Sometimes people living with memory issues withdraw from society because they no longer enjoy the same activities or they’re embarrassed by their struggles. Memory care communities provide a safe space for these seniors to interact with their peers, make new friends, and try new activities. They can try fitness classes, brain games, dancing lessons, baking classes, and so much more.
Moving a loved one into memory care can be challenging. The good news is that afterward, many people feel an overwhelming sense of peace when they see their loved one thriving in this new community.
Life at a Memory Care Community
Our private memory care apartments have a simplistic and purposeful design that provides a spacious home while having our resident’s wellbeing in mind. In reality, residents in memory care live rich, full lives and the environment is joyful, peaceful, and enriching. In this safe, structured place, residents can work on maintaining their current skills under the care of the compassionate staff members. They’re surrounded by a community of interesting peers, and they can take part in a variety of fun-filled activities and classes that will help their days feel meaningful and purpose-driven.
We offer a variety of floor plans for memory care residents so that you can find the one that best fits your needs. Depending on your personality, you might prefer a private suite for peace and solitude, or you might like a friendship suite, which allows for social interaction and companionship. You can decorate your apartment with furniture, photographs, and cherished personal belongings.
All residents are encouraged to eat healthy, well-balanced meals. With our restaurant-style dining, we provide dementia-friendly menus with familiar selections and easy-to-manage choices so that residents feel empowered to maintain their independence. We also provide dining assistance for anyone who could use a little help at meal times. Our thoughtfully designed memory care menu honors each resident’s culinary preference but also ensure they meet their nutrition and weight goals.
Above all, memory care is flexible. We tailor our services to meet our residents’ needs, and we’re happy to accommodate your loved one’s unique preferences and goals.
To learn more about memory care at The Gables on Pelham, contact us today.